Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Where are you from? Here. Your Turkish? Evet.... (laughs) You speak well Turkish."


280 liras for a weekend? At first I was hesitant but now I know that the amount of money could not even begin to describe the weekend I had. Cappadocia, which is an ancient region for early Christianity was where we traveled to for three days. To me, all I really enjoyed of this region was the fact that every stone reminded me of the Grinch's Whoville. Thursday night, 90 international students along with our Turkish mentors loaded the bus and prepared ourselves for a 10 hour long bus ride. I personally was not looking forward to this but it actually ended up to be a ride that I will never forget... making new friends and unforgettable memories! Finally we arrived at the Dadak Thermal Spa & Wellness Hotel, which was absolutely amazing -- any place filled with a sauna, heated and a cooled pool will have my heart! That Friday we had a chill and relaxing day which gave us time to swim, mingle and get rested for the Disco night. After a long night of dancing and a late night swim, I was definitely regretting it the next day when I was forced to get up at 8 AM and get ready for a long day of touring different places with 90 inpatient students. First sightseeing at Goreme and Avanos then a delicious lunch, and lastly a clay and pottery workshop. As walking through the Pottery place looking at every unique plate, bowl, and many more, a man that works there stops me and asks-
      "Are you Turkish" (Which not to mention was probably the 15th person that has asked me that)
      "I said "no""
      "Well, do you know any turkish?" Bread?
      "Ekmek"
      "Okay good, Water?"
      "Su"
      "Money?"
      "Para"
      "There you go, that's all you need to know -- Bread, Money, and Water." Haha

Even though it was such a drawn out and tiring day, I wouldn't have traded those experiences for anything! Sunday morning we packed up and had our last breakfast at the hotel then went to the Panoramic view filled with pigeons and an indefinable view. We went to a beautiful winery called Turasan Wine, which is one of the most well known winery's in Turkey. Lastly my favorite part of the day was when we came across a camel, where we were able to ride him for 10 liras. My friend Emily and I payed, and after an adventurous ten minute ride I get off to get a close up picture with the camel. I didn't even think twice to come close to his face, when barely noticing that he was eating and enjoying his meal. As a friend was about to take the picture of me close up of me kissing him, the big guy comes at me as if he's about to eat my face. When I say this was a picture perfect moment... I meant it.

No comments:

Post a Comment